Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions

Open Enrollment

What is Open Enrollment?

Wisconsin's inter-district public school open enrollment program allows parents/guardians to apply for their child(ren) to attend school districts other than the one in which they live.  Each school district has policies to handle selection and placement of open enrollment students. 

When can I apply for Open Enrollment?

Parents/guardians must submit application forms to the nonresident school district during a three-month period from February - April.  For the 2016-17 school year, parents/guardians must apply no earlier than February 1, 2016, and no later than April 29, 2016.  A student may apply to no more than three (3) nonresident school districts. 

Application for Open Enrollment

The recommended method of applying for open enrollment is through the on-line application at  The on-line application period closes at 4:00 p.m. on April 29, 2016.  Although on-line applications are recommended, paper applications may be obtained from the Department of Public Instruction or the District Office and must be delivered (hand delivery is recommended) to the non-resident district. 

Alternative Procedures for Applying for Open Enrollment

Parents normally apply for open enrollment for the following school year during a three-month application period which begins in February and ends on the last weekday in April.  However, in 2011, Act 114 established a procedure by which parents may apply for open enrollment outside of the regular application period. 

Any alternative application to the open enrollment application period must be submitted during the school year in which the pupil wants to begin attending school in the non-resident school district.  The alternative application is available on the open enrollment website at or by contacting Jennifer Kuenne at the district office at 715-748-4620 x 522 or 

For more information, contact Jennifer Kuenne at 715-748-4620 x 522 or 

Back to top

Tuition Waivers

What is a Tuition Waiver and do I qualify for it?

Under certain circumstances, state law permits your child to continue to attend school in a school district even after you move out of the school district.

The law covers three circumstances in which your child may, if certain requirements are met, continue to attend school district even if you are no longer a resident:

a.  When you move out of a school district during a school year and wish your child to finish that school year in the school district.

b.  When you move out of a school district during a school year and wish your child to not only finish the current school year in the school district, but to continue to attend that school district in the future. This option must be dove-tailed into open enrollment (above).

c.  When your child has attained senior status while a resident of the school district and wishes to attend the district in her or his senior year (this is often referred to as “the senior rule”).

Each of these circumstances has its own set of statutory rules that must be followed exactly in order for the student to continue to attend school in the district.

For more information, contact Jennifer Kuenne at 715-748-4620 x522 or 

Back to top

School Performance Report

What information is in the School Performance Report?

The school performance report is required by state statute and includes information on district enrollment, student achievement on standardized tests, graduation rates, etc. It is always published based on data from the prior year.

Where can I review/get a copy of the School Performance Report?

The school performance report is available on the school web site at or a copy will be mailed to you by request from Jennifer Kuenne, Executive Assistant, 715-748-4620 x522 or e-mail

Back to top


Food Service Program

Where do I apply for free and reduced lunch?

Free and reduced lunch forms are available at any school office and on our district website. Assistance and clarification in form completion is available from Barb Noeldner at MAES, 715-748-2316 x322 or Jill Koenig, R.N., at MASH, 715-748-5951 x432.

How much money is left in my lunch account?

Food service account viewing is available on the web for custodial parents at Click on the Family Access Link.  If you do not have internet access, please contact the school to which you sent the food service payment.

Why don’t you send out a notice regarding lunch account balances?

Sending out notices each day would be cost prohibitive. A phone system is in place to notify those whose family food service accounts are in deficit, or information will be on the web under Family Access. You may always call your school if you are unsure or have questions.

Back to top


Pre-School / Pre-Kindergarten

How do I sign up for Pre-Kindergarten?

If your child will be 4 years old by September 1 of a school year, you may enroll him/her in pre-kindergarten by contacting Pam Leader at 715-748-2316 x321. The pre-kindergarten program is a program for children at least four years of age.

Which school will my child attend?

Stetsonville Elementary School and Medford Area Elementary School each house pre-kindergarten. Children are assigned based on space availability and transportation. Children are assigned to either a Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday session based on residence and slot availability.

Will my child receive speech (or any other special) if they attend “that” school?

Speech/language services, as wells as other related services, are available to children in the pre-kindergarten at both Stetsonville and Medford Elementary Schools. Children with disabilities who are placed in an Early Childhood integrated classroom by an IEP team attend Medford Area Elementary School in order to receive the necessary level of special education services.

What bus will my child ride (the district bus/Krug bus)?

Children attending the pre-kindergarten program ride the Krug bus. Children ages 3 and 4 identified with disabilities requiring special transportation are assigned to the district bus as determined by an IEP team.

For more information, please contact Pam Leader, Elementary School Secretary at 715-748-2316 x321, or Dan Miller, Elementary School Principal, at 715-748-2316 x323.

Back to top


School Assignment

Which school will my child attend?

School assignment is guided by policy JECC. Students are assigned to a school based on special education considerations, building and grade level enrollment and transportation routes.

Back to top



What time does my child start school/get out of school?

School start and dismissal times vary by building due to transportation/bus routes. 2016-17 school start/dismissal times by building are:

Medford Area Senior High (MASH) Start Time 8:13 a.m.
End Time 3:15 p.m.
Medford Area Middle School (MAMS) Start Time 8:03 a.m.
End Time 3:08 p.m.
Medford Area Elementary School (MAES) Start Time 8:25 a.m.
End Time 3:22 p.m.
Stetsonville Elementary School (SES) Start Time 8:05 a.m.
End Time 2:55 p.m.


When do you cancel school and how do I know if school has been canceled?

School may be canceled for any variety of emergencies, including weather. School cancelations are broadcast on area radio stations, television stations and the school web site. Remember, once the media is notified, we have no control over when the information will be broadcast or for how long. Severe weather information for parents/guardians will be mailed in October.

Do you make up a canceled day of school?

The first two days lost to school cancelation will not be made up, all other days will be made up at the end of the school year.  Two days currently scheduled for no classes may be used as a make up day, February 17 and April 17, 2017.  The Board of Education may also consider adding minutes to the day to meet DPI requirements.

What does my child need for school (supplies)?

School supply information is available in the Welcome Back packet, at your school and at some local stores.

What do I need to do to enroll/withdraw my child from MAPSD?

To enroll or withdraw from grades 9-12, call Denise Staab at MASH, 715-748-5951 x430; grades 5-8, call Cheryl Wieting at MAMS, 715-748-2516 x222.  To enroll or withdraw from grades PK-4, contact Pam Leader at MAES, 715-748-2316 x321 and Jerri Suchomel at SES, 715-678-2600 x121.

To register, you may inquire at any building; however, elementary students may be assigned to any building based on space availability and transportation routes. If you have questions about school assignment, please call Jennifer Kuenne at the district office, 715-748-4620 x522.

Can my child be dropped off at _____’s house?

All New/Alternate Pick-up/Drop-off Forms must be received within five (5) working days before a change is to become effective during the school year. Phone calls cannot be accepted, except in emergency situations. Such exceptions must be approved by the building principal or his/her designee. If you have further questions, contact Jennifer Kuenne at the District Office, 715-748-4620 x522, or Barb Krug at 715-748-3194.

When are the Christmas Programs scheduled for?

Christmas programs for 2016-17 are scheduled as following, barring poor weather or other emergency:

MAES Kindergarten Thursday, December 15 @ 12:00 noon @ MAES
MAES Grades 1 & 2 Thursday, December 15 @ 1:00 p.m. @ MAES
MAES Grades 3 & 4 Thursday, December 15 @ 2:00 p.m. @ MAES
MAES Early Education Monday / Wednesday Class Monday, December 21 @ 9:30 a.m. @ MAES
Tues / Thursday Class Tuesday, December 22 @ 9:30 a.m. @ MAES
MASH Choir Concert (Grades 9 -12) Monday, December 19 @ 7:00 p.m. @ MASH Raider Hall
MASH Band Concert (Grades 9 - 12) Sunday, December 18 @ 4:00 p.m. @ MASH Raider Hall
SES Kindergarten Friday, December 9 @ 12:00 noon @ SES
SES Grade 1 & 2 Friday, December 9 @ 1:00 p.m. @ SES
SES Grades 3 & 4 Friday, December 9 @ 2:00 p.m. @ SES
SES Early Education Monday / Wednesday Class Monday, December 21 @ 9:30 a.m. @ SES Library
Tues / Thursday Class Tuesday, December 22 @ 9:30 a.m. @ SES Library
MAMS Grades 5 & 6 Tuesday, December 13 @ 1:30 p.m. @ MAMS
MAMS Grades 7 & 8 Tuesday, December 13 @ 7:00 p.m. @ MAMS


How can I get a message to my child?

Call the school office. The office will deliver the message. At MASH, students are called to the office between class periods to minimize disruptions.

When can I speak to my child’s teacher?

You may call the school to leave a message. The teacher will return your call. You may also visit during parent-teacher conferences, schedule other appointments or e-mail the teacher.

What about teacher selection?

Policy JECD-R guides teacher selection. Assignment of students to specific classes/ teachers will be decided by the building principal. Requests for specific teachers will not be honored, but the administration will consider parent requests for students not to be assigned to a specific classroom. These request and an explanation of the unique circumstances must be in writing and submitted to the building principal by June 1.

When is graduation?

2017 Graduation will be held on Friday, May 26, at 7:00 p.m. at the Simek Recreation Center.

Back to top


Community Learning Center (CLC)

What are the CLC hours?

2016-17 CLC hours are:

Medford Area Middle School (MAMS) ASKS

MAMS ASKS:  Monday, Tuesday & Thursday from 3:15 - 4:00 p.m.

Medford Area Elementary School (MAES)

Monday through Friday from 6:45 - 7:30 a.m. and 3:15 - 5:30 p.m.

Stetsonville Elementary School (SES)

Monday through Friday from 3:00 - 5:30 p.m.

2016-17 Student Fees for the Community Learning Centers (CLCs)
$1.25 per a.m. session ($0.50 if qualified for free/reduced lunches)
$3.75 per p.m. session ($2.50 if qualified for free/reduced lunches)
$6.25 per p.m. session on Early Release Days ($5.00 if qualified for free/reduced lunches)


ASKS is the After School Knowledge Seekers Program for academic assistance ($1.00 per session for anyone who attends).

Back to top

  • Medford Area Public School District
  • 124 West State St, Medford, WI 54451
  • Phone: 715 748-4620  •  Fax: 715 748-6839
  • E-mail: